Shockies for the 80 series

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 20, 2007 at 22:31
ThreadID: 51842 Views:2159 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, we are looking at new shockies for the 80 series gxl turbo auto. We've had Rancho and then Pedders, and though they were not too bad, still are not quite what we need. We like to go desert driving ie CSR and Simpson and although we will do these with the tent , we also tow a camper trailer for other trips. We thought we might try Tough Dog Ralph or Bilstein. We would appreciate some helpful feedback on either brand. Here's to comfy travels

Nick and Glenda
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (NT) - Tuesday, Nov 20, 2007 at 23:47

Tuesday, Nov 20, 2007 at 23:47
Hi Nick & Glenda

I can only comment on Tough Dog as a steering damper, and it seems to work well. As for shockies, I use Old Man Emu on my 80 and have had a good run with them. Been on some awful roads, and across the Simpson Desert twice, and had no problems. Only issue is the position of the rear shocks, in front of the axle. Toyota engineers had a brain freeze on that one, as the shocks cop a lot of stone damage in that position. I've solved the problem by putting a piece of straight radiator hose the same length as the fully compressed shock over the lower tube (just make sure it's not tight on the upper tube when it compresses!!) The rubber stops the stone damage completely.

As you say, comfy travels.

PS if you want a smooth ride on rough roads, try lower tyre pressures - works a treat, and despite the rubbish some people spout about tyre damage, it's better for your suspension, your vehicle, and your back. And I lose far less tyres now I run lower pressures on the rough stuff.

Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 272860

Follow Up By: Andrew(WA) - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 00:05

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 00:05
Ditto on the tyre pressure comment...

I did the GRR last year and ended dropping pressures considerably for a good ride. Never a puncture over a 2 weeks stint. And towing a C/T.

Maybe just good luck...but it was a comfy trip and no damage to the vehicle.
FollowupID: 536174

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 18:09

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 18:09
Nairy a truer comment has been made re tyres - slow down, pressure down, keep your eyes peeled for sticks and stones, and you can relax with a drink at days end, while others will be fussing over wheels.
FollowupID: 536299

Reply By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 01:47

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 01:47
"still not quite what we need"

what do you need? and why were they not up to scratch?
Might make it easier to get an objective (rather than subjective) answer?
AnswerID: 272868

Reply By: Member - Karl - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 08:41

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 08:41
I recently had a set of Blue Max shockies put on my 80 Series by the guys at Coastal 4x4 in Jandekot. They are a decent shockie and the guys there were really good to deal with and know their stuff. If you give them a call I am sure they will help you.

No affiliation other than a happy customer :-))

You could also try www.offroad80s.com which is a new site for 80 Series owners.

Karl
AnswerID: 272891

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 08:48

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 08:48
Ditto the bluemax matched with their 2" over stock springs.
FollowupID: 536205

Reply By: Middle Jeff - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 13:04

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 13:04
Hi

I have the Tough Dog Ralphs and love them, they are adjustable and I have the incab kit. They have done corner country in NSW and a couple of other trips in western NSW also Cape York as well as the Vic High country. Also lots of black stuff and fully loaded with them set on firm the cruiser sits flat, not bad for a 5" lift with 35" tyres, of road they tend to last longer than the other vehicles that I have travelled with.

Have fun

Craig
AnswerID: 272936

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 14:11

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 14:11
We have 2'' lift in the front 3'' in the back and use King Springs and Ultima Big Bore Shocks. $770 fitted and have done an outstanding job with a massive load on our trip last yr.

When its loaded (and the same with towing I spose) it evens the car out and has a great ride....

looked at getting tough dog but went this way instead for reasons that i cannt remember....!

Laura
AnswerID: 272941

Reply By: Ralph C - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 15:42

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 15:42
Hi Nick and Glenda,
We had Rancho 9000's. Great ride but they failed after three years whilst on a trip up the Oodnadatta track. We had them replaced in Alice by Country Diesel who advised that virtually the only shocks that don't come back for warrantly claims are Monroe's. Old Man Emu are good too and are made by Monroe. OME's valving is different and they carry a price premium due to name/marketing budget. We had rubber fitted to protect the shocks and it sure works. One last thing. I suggest you go for twin tube shocks like those recommended above for greater cooling. Ranchos are single tube Tough Dog could be re-branded Ranchos?
Cheers

Ralph
AnswerID: 272955

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 18:15

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 18:15
Have not used Billstein, but any mono tube gas (cooler running) on the front is a good idea in my view (I've used mono Koni's on the front of the Jack and they have been very good over long distance corrugations). Even though heat is an issue, twin tubes on the back seem the go, to withstand stone attack (XGS was my choice for the rear) - those Ralphs are huge !!
AnswerID: 272979

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 21:25

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 21:25
Have had most of the brands over the years and my 80 sits and rides niceley on Bilsteins. Wouldn't part with them for another brand.
AnswerID: 273023

Reply By: Member - Coenens N (WA) - Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 22:28

Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 22:28
Thanks to all of you for your help. We certainly look after tyre pressures and speed and all the other safety things. After all, there is a lot more country still out there to explore. We'll be off again soon with the new shockies and let's hope we meet some of you out there somewhere.
Cheers
AnswerID: 273515

Sponsored Links